Monday, May 3, 2010

A Prayer Request: My Friend's Marriage

Tonight I was talking with a friend about the terrible ordeal he and his family are going through. He and his wife just signed divorce papers, and all that is left is to stand before the judge, the judge briefly surveys the paperwork, then grants the divorce. What’s worse is that he openly admits to living a life of slavery to sin until just 3 months ago when he felt God’s call, powerful and true, in that moment experienced spiritual and physical healing and is not looking back. He is new to Christ, and is eager to grow…this is obvious to anyone around him. His wife is a life-long church goer, and he has two kids. He feels the guilt of his past life and it stings as he thinks about the damage he has done to each affected party. This family is about to break up, based upon the result of being far from God and in a life of sin—yet at this moment, he is no longer the man that started down the path of divorce. Still, the seemingly unstoppable, momentous wheels are in motion to end their marriage officially and for good. He recognizes that God does not want this, and is willing and eager to rectify the relationship—but has little power and less vision on how to do that. He is somewhat resigned to their fate, though clinging to the smallest of seeds of hope that somehow God, not he himself, can save the marriage, and even more than that, whatever the outcome God can work his will and purpose for each of their lives, husband, wife, and children.

After we ended the conversation and went to our vehicles, I was understandably overcome with a desire to pray for him. As I prayed, I felt a rare conviction and passion for him and his marriage…even to the point of tears. I kept seeing his face in front of me, a newborn babe of God, in desperate need of the Father’s care and nourishment—how can we as babes in Christ live without intense nourishment and care from our Father? Here he is at a crossroads, yet he is such a babe in Christ. What broke my heart was that he is truly repentant! Repentant, seemingly too late to save a marriage that binds flesh to flesh and is a covenant before God (Gen 2:24, Matt 19:5-6, Mark 10:8-9, Eph 5:31). And he wants to salvage it for God, for his children and family, and lastly for himself. Oh Lord, would you please take him in your arms and guide him, direct him, comfort him, strengthen him, and fill him. He is in need of you, Lord! I know you are calling his name and that we know the name of our Good Shepherd (John 10:3-4). Please Lord let him and his wife hear your call.

As I continued my drive home, I had the radio turned to the local Christian station, 89.3 KSBJ. For some reason tonight, they had a pastor praying briefly. This is uncommon—I listen to this station nearly every day and have not often heard a segment where a guest pastor prays. But do you know what he was praying as I turned the volume up? His words were something like this: “Lord, we know that marriage is a covenant before you, from the old testament to the new and present day. It is an example of the covenants you have made with your people through the ages and with each of us today. It is good and holy in your sight. I pray that you take those marriages, each of those marriages that are hanging on the brink tonight Lord…this very night that you would strengthen those marriages and breathe life into them. In the power of your Holy Son’s name, amen.”

I was joyful upon hearing such a prayer, only minutes after my own. I knew that we prayed a prayer of agreement with God and between believers, even believers that had never met or even known of each others’ existence. I realized that hundreds, maybe thousands of people were praying this night for marriages to be saved and that each prayed for my friend and that we all prayed together for the same thing. We gathered together in God’s name, not necessarily in the same city, country, or continent even, yet together on this earth that God has created. “For where two or three gather in my name, there I am in the midst of them.” (Matt 18:20)

I continue to pray for my friend. His court date is next week. Will you please pray with me and with all other believers for them? Our prayers are pleasing to God, and “the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective” with God (James 5:16). We are not praying anything that God does not already want to do, and we are not changing His mind…we are choosing to delight Him with our prayers of agreement and share in His glory through this marriage. May His preferred will be done and His glory be shown in this and all things. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment