Loved Ones,I have not always had a relatable answer to those who might ask me why I witness. And that has led to timidity. But there is a good answer that I think most people will relate to, even those who are not yet saved:
“Why do you witness? Why do you feel compelled to share your faith?”
These are questions that I have heard asked of those who actively share Christ with those around them. And often the question is not good-hearted…often it is asked with a tone of annoyance or even resentment. Why many of the world assume this attitude is a good topic for conversation, but right now I am more focused on our response to the question.
Consider Tim Tebow. It’s funny that at the mention of his name, if you know about him and who he is, you probably just had a reaction inside. If you don’t like the Florida Gators, that’s one thing (I am not a UF fan by any stretch of the imagination). But most have a reaction because he openly professes Christianity and seeks to share it with so many. He and other collegiate football players can be seen on TV on Saturdays with scriptural references on their eye-black strips below their eyes. I think that is awesome. I have heard that on Saturday, the number one Googled Bible scripture is the one on Tim Tebow’s face. If that’s true, it is absolutely awesome. Whatever the impact, people are seeking God’s Word through open and public witnesses such as these.
But many have a great disdain for Tim Tebow. I have heard many say almost these exact words: “He is a great college football player, I’ll give him that, but I can’t stand him because he pushes his faith on other people. If there’s a place for that, it’s not on the football field.” First of all, what is “pushing your faith” on someone? I believe Tim and others share their faith and the pushing that the individual feels as a result is the Holy Spirit!
I wish I was personally asked the question, “Why do you feel like you need to witness to me?” Even if the attitude is combative—because that would mean that I was actively witnessing. But nevertheless, I have considered the question. Why do I feel like I need to witness? The truth is this:
Consider the following situation: you and your entire family have cancer, for which there is no known cure. You are all dying together. One day you happen upon the cure. You did not create the cure, and likely someone else shared it with you, but you have happened upon the cure and you are cured—cancer removed! What do you do next? Certainly, you will share it immediately with everyone you know, especially your family who is dying of the cancer! How can you keep that to yourself? You can’t, and you share it with them because you love them and want them to have life.
The truth is that every single one of us on earth does have a cancer. This cancer is sin—separation from God that results in death to our souls. We are doomed without a cure. But one day, someone shared the Cure with me and I am free of it! God is the Good Doctor who discovered/created the Cure…but we have to go to see the Doctor to receive the Cure. He is there with it, beckoning us just to come to Him to receive it. But how will we go to the Doctor if we don’t first realize that we need to? We must first realize that we have the disease, then we must realize that there is a Cure, and we must recognize Who holds that Cure. Finally, we must go to the Doctor to receive the Cure—and then it’s all over—we’re cured. The Doctor Himself even comes right to us, but we must still allow Him to administer the shot that will cure us—He has done all the work and we simply have to accept Him and His Cure.
The example above contains 4 steps. Recognize your sin, recognize that you can be saved from sin, recognize that God through Jesus Christ is your salvation, and finally accept Him and go right to Him for forgiveness. The Cure is Jesus Christ, His willing and sacrificial death for us on the cross, and His resurrection and defiance of death as we know it. This is possible through His unending, boundless, perfect love for us, His creation.
If you have not experienced that yet, I encourage you to do it right away and accept the wonderful cure available to you. If you have experienced Him, you know just how amazing it is. How can we keep that to ourselves? How can we not share with everyone we meet? We are all part of the same family, after all. Let's help bring our family to God for the cure of salvation.
Amendment (4/23/10) - Great verse that sums up our approach: 1 Peter 3:15 - "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..."
Years ago I heard a minister use that exact analogy—that, if you had a cure for cancer, you would be willing and eager to let everyone know.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, many people will not recognize or accept that they have spiritual cancer, or that it is fatal. They pretend or honestly believe that they are healthy, and face no threat.
That is the biggest challenge to witnessing. Imagine if you were thoroughly convinced that you were healthy and someone kept coming around, badgering you to take a cure that you did not believe you needed. That’s why I love how Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort teach about witnessing. They start a conversation with people by asking “Do you think you’re a good person?” (They almost always say “Yes”). Then they ask if they are familiar with the Ten Commandments. Then they point out that the Bible says that if you break any of those commands you’ve sinned and that no one with sin can enter Heaven. Then they ask, “Have you ever taken God’s name in vain? “, “Have you ever lied?”, Jesus said, “If you look upon a woman and lust after her, you’ve committed adultery in your heart.” So “Have you ever lusted?” In essence they are proving to these people that they have “cancer”. They are very humble with this approach, admitting that they too have broken the Ten Commandments. Then they point out that there is still a way to get to Heaven—salvation through Jesus.
I see Tim Tebow’s witnessing as a simple advertisement-when I see an advertisement for Viagra, I’m not at all offended, because I have absolutely no need for the product, nor do I feel pressured to buy it. Let’s say there was an advertisement for a thyroid medicine on TV; I know I have a thyroid issue, but again, I do not feel pressured to buy it—I have found a solution on my own.
I think the Tim Tebow thing makes people nervous, maybe not so much because it influences those complaining about it, but because the complainers fear that Tebow’s actions will influence others.
Imagine if a Muslim played football and had a reference from the Koran on his face—we would be concerned. We would think, “Oh, think about all the young people that look up to him. They might be influenced to join Islam.”
Of course, there is a big, big difference here. We KNOW that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and no man comes to the Father but by Him.
I am so grateful for Tim Tebow’s witness and for everyone who speaks out to lead others to the Lord. May we all be so loving and passionate about the Lord and the eternal destinies of others.
But many don’t see their need. And you are so right. I am sure that in some cases, perhaps many, people are simply experiencing the discomfort of conviction by the Holy Spirit.
I think that is one reason the Jesus said that we must be wise as serpents, gentle as doves. But He also said that the fields are white unto harvest and to pray for workers for the harvest. We of course should be those workers.
I believe we really need our spiritual antenna working, so that we can recognize when the Lord brings someone across our path that we are to witness to in a specific way. There are general acknowledgements that we can do on a regular, daily basis. Something as simple as saying to someone in a restaurant or an elevator: Hasn’t the Lord given us a beautiful day? That will be an encouragement to a fellow believer, and perhaps plant a small seed in the mind of a nonbeliever. It might even start a conversation that would avail itself to a more detailed telling about Jesus and the Gospel.
But, yes, we definitely have the Cure. Praise the Lord—and let’s not keep it to ourselves.
Great points...thank you for sharing! The approach you mentioned from Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort sounds very wise, because I agree that accepting that we even have the cancer of sin is probably the most difficult part.
ReplyDeleteLike you said, in the day to day opportunities that may seem small, or even for those that seem big, I love 1 Peter 3:15 - "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..."