Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Spilling Over

In my last post, I alluded to another experience from last week that was especially enjoyable for a chemical-engineer-by-training and teacher-at-heart. I am pleased to have the opportunity to share today:

Recently, we were having a Christmas party with our youngest girls. While all sitting down to enjoy our dinner together for this special occasion, one of our littlest spilled her drink right in front of me. Very quickly, I reached over and threw some napkins on top, so as to minimize the devastation (30 little children tracking around sticky soda can be devastation!). For adults, this is a very routine event; however, for these children it was a perfect teaching opportunity.

As the top napkin began to slowly become wet, starting from the center outwards, I heard several of our girls start to gasp and say "Will dada, look!" A few things raced through my mind that may be right in front of me. To my comfort and surprise, it was simply the napkin displaying the principle of wicking. A site that many of our girls were studing with wonder.

For those who know me, you can already guess that this "routine spill" became an instant classroom. I took the opportunity to tell one of our 11-year-olds about the principle of wicking. How tiny spaces inbetween paper particles became like little straws that drew the water along. Part two of the lesson was taking what we could see with our eyes in the napkin and applying it to what is more difficult to see in trees and their roots. I explained to her that trees soak up water from the soil because of the same principle. We talked about capilaries, wicking, and how important it is for the tree to live.

When I get into a conversation like that, even with an adult, at some point I always realize that I have gone into a little bit more detail than they would ever care to hear in their entire lives. So even with this little one, I wondered how much she herself was soaking up and retaining. Her expressions were very matter of fact, so I could not tell.

But when she turned to one of her sisters and began explaining point by point, detail by detail, what was happening, and then explained how trees work the same way, I was thrilled! The greatest test to see if you have learned something is to try to explain it to someone else. The response from the other little girl was quite commical, and one that I have received myself countless times when trying to explain a scientific or engineering concept to someone who has other priorities at the time. The other girl looked at her and said, "I just need a napkin," as she held out her hand somewhat impatiently. I laughed out loud! What also made me laugh is that my scientist-in-training began to hold the napkin hostage and would only give her sister the napkin if she would listen to the entire explanation. At the end, she asked if her sister had understood. She said, "Yes, yes, ok. Will you give me a napkin now?" Yep, take heart little scientist-in-training and teacher-at-heart, you and I will have many of these experiences in our lives.

I loved this interaction more than because it was a successful teaching moment for me with one of our girls, but because it revealed quite a bit about my little scientist in training. I had known that science was her favorite subject, but now I know that she likely has been granted the gift of teaching (still in development, no doubt). I recognized her response of immediately seeking to share and explain what she has learned. And as I saw how important it was for her to not only fully explain but also be fulfilled by her "student" demonstrating an understanding, I realized how similar she and I really are, in that respect. Truly an endearing moment for me.

It all started with a spilled drink, a potential disaster. Before it was over, it was a precious moment. And one more thing brought it full circle for me. When I was about 8 years old, I remember sitting at the island in the kitchen of my childhood home when my father took a napkin and dipped the corner in a puddle of spilled water. To my delight the water began to move across the entire napkin quite magically. And that is the day my dad taught me about wicking and surface tension, something I would study in much, much greater detail over a decade later (sometimes painful detail!). In the moment this week when I realized that our girls were looking in that same amazement as I did as an 8-year-old boy, I myself was thrilled to propogate the learning experience.

Finally, the most sureal thought is this: Perhaps this little scientist in training will one day remember the day that Will dada taught her about wicking and trees as she teaches her little one the same thing. I know I am not this precious child's father, but what a privilege to see how our Father in Heaven has allowed me to be a part of His family, a son of the King sharing life with daughters of the King. I pray that she continues to learn, continues to teach, and most of all continues to love the Lord her God. I pray the same things for you and me. Amen.


P.S. Prayer request: I'll be preaching in church on Christmas morning, definitely a first for me. I've started asking for just three things when I preach: Simplicity, Clarity, Power. Please pray with me for these!

No comments:

Post a Comment