One of my friends responded with some thoughts that were worth sharing. Her response to the question is this month's guest post:
To address my first thoughts on the initial question of whether others "recognize me as a Christian because I'm living high standards...or are they seeing Christ in me," I honestly think it's a combination of both. All of scripture calls us to live our lives to a higher standard. From the wisdom of Proverbs and examples of faith in the Old Testament to the entire New Testament, God's word is Truth meant to help guide and protect us; to sanctify us, set us apart for God. (John 17:13-19)
I definitely believe that the high standards we choose to live by according to God's word should make us different; we are set apart by Christ to be used by God to bring glory to Himself in everything we do. (Col. 3:23)
That said, I also firmly believe that high standards are only a surface layer to our calling as Christians. To know what it means for others to see Christ in us, we have to know about the character and life of Christ. Looking back through Matthew, we are given a plethora of examples of who Christ is and the life He lived. To put it simply, Christian life is about love and obedience.
An all-consuming love for God sparks obedience to Him and a heart of love for others.
Like in Matthew 5:17-20 - Jesus reminds us of the difference between integrity and piousness. It's not just about rules (or high standards), but about the heart; not just intense legal compliance, but rather obedience out of intense love.
Matthew 18 continues to give us examples of this intense kind of love for others.
- Love others enough to not be a stumbling block (Rom. 14:13,19,22)
- Love others with a heart of mercy and compassion (2 Cor. 11:28-29)
- Love others enough to be just and honest (2 Tim. 2:22-26)
- Love others as we love ourselves (Rom. 12)
Matthew 22:34-40 commands us to love God first, then, love others. This is an unselfish love, a Radical love.
- We must put action to our words by humbly loving others as Christ loved us (Matt.23; 25:31-46).
Summarized, we show our love for God by obeying His commands (John 14:15-24), many of which call us to love people (John 13:34-35; 15:1-16).
1 John is all about Love! 1 Corinthians 13 is what a Christian should be! Other verses that show what our mentality should be are: Phil. 3:7-11; Col. 3:15-17; Col. 3:23-24.
But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. - Phil 3:7-11Wow, right! I want to have a heart like that.
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. - Col 3:15-17
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. - Col 3:23-24
So, I might suggest, rather than the question of "are people 'seeing Christ in me,'" we should perhaps ask "how am I intensely loving people so that they may see Christ in me?"
Having talked some about this topic with friends, there are some arguments that come to mind. For example, when our circumstances are challenging and we're going through different trials, some will argue that they can't show God's love to others when they don't feel like God is close at hand. A recent devotional I did refered to Acts 17:24-28. It talked about how we can complain all we want about the fact that God seems distant, but the reality is that He is not far from anyone who actually seeks Him. He is ready to manifest Himself to anyone who doesn't just hear His word, but lives it out. We always have a choice...feelings are fickle; it's not about what we feel like doing or not doing, it's making the right choice based on the Truth of God's word and call in our lives. We choose to demonstrate His love in His strength to others, no matter our circumstance.
I think another part of loving people that I know I still struggle with is being real with them. Even though we strive to live by higher standards, no one is perfect. We all fall short and make mistakes. No one has it all together all the time. But it's hard admitting to our imperfections and weaknesses. We want people to see us and think everything's fine and good, but if that's how people are seeing us all the time we cannot reach out in love to meet people where they are. Instead they feel pressured to get where we seem to be. And true accountable relationships can't be built on false pretenses. Shouldn't we practice humility and vulnerability to such an extent that the awesome power of our God is revealed rather than what seems to be our own competency? (2 Cor. 11:30; 12:8-10)
No comments:
Post a Comment