Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Wealthy

I started writing down all of the ways that I am rich. This stemmed from the realization that I am so rich in so many ways. Our Life Group very briefly mentioned needs the other day. I got to thinking about what my true needs are—they are relatively few. When I wrote down a need, I asked “why do I need that?” Then after thinking about the answer I asked myself, “why is that a need?” Why, why, why, until I boiled down what I thought was a need into either want, or the true need…there are very few true physical needs. The spiritual needs list is actually much longer. Then I realized how extravagantly rich I am…so I was inspired to list all of the ways I am rich, and as a follow up, all of the ways I am poor. My rich list is long. If you’re like me, you’ll have a very hard time listing many things at all that you are truly physically poor in. I have heard it reported that if you own a car, you are in something like the top 5% of wealth in the world. If you own a house, you’re well within the top 1%. I don’t know the actual percentages, but a study by Branko Milanovic (World Bank research lead economist) in 2000 reported that the average American with an income in the bottom 10% of the U.S. population “is better off than 2/3 of the world population.” The gist of the message is this—if you’re reading this, you’re rich. Instead, to find any way that I am poor, I have to turn to my attitudes and weaknesses—if I am poor, it is spiritually. But even spiritually I have lived an advantaged life. Think about it—let’s make the analogy of spiritual wealth to monetary wealth. I grew up in a Christian home and went to church my entire life. I accepted Jesus and was baptized at 6 years old. I am the spoiled rich kid, spiritually. The one who did nothing on his own, but just grew up rich and didn’t appreciate it—I grew up introduced to God all around me…and I haven’t appreciated it. Going further, those spoiled rich kids are often the ones that end up not amounting to much, except that hopefully they won’t squander their father’s wealth too quickly—they don’t know how to make money themselves. Are we numb to God’s presence in our lives? Do we even realize how abundant He is in our lives, like a spoiled rich kid? Who are the men whom we admire, concerning riches? They are certainly not those who have inherited their wealth. No, they are the men who were raised in poverty, worked toward their goals, and became very respectable, hard-working, appreciative rich men…men of transformation. Is it not the same for God’s leaders? Don’t you admire those such as Paul or C.S. Lewis, who came from the poorest of spiritual backgrounds—one a chief persecutor of Christians and one an Atheist? Don’t we admire what God did through them, the choice they made for God? They changed their life directions…just as the poor man, turned successful business man.

I don’t want to be a spoiled, rich, church kid. There are those who grew up wealthy, who paid attention to their fathers, mothers, and mentors…and continued to do great things with their wealth. “To whom much is given, much is required.” I tell you, anyone who grew up a Christian in America has been given very much—and very much is therefore required! Lose your numbness! Appreciate what you have! For there are many in this world who have not yet heard the good news of Jesus Christ—they are poor, if not monetarily, certainly spiritually. But even worse, there are those who have had ingrained in them morals and beliefs opposite those of God. Just as we are to share our monetary wealth, we are to share our spiritual wealth. We have much to share. Look at those who had no spiritual advantages and what they have done with their newfound faith—do we not have the opportunity to do that, too? We do, and we have even greater opportunity. Unfortunately, many of us have settled into a life of wealth squandering—we are used to just sitting around churches and a Christian nation, content to progress our relationship with God no further. I say we must take the investment of our forefathers and the saints, and continue their work to do even more with it! This means a shift in the way we live, for those anything like me. What will you do with your wealth?

2 comments:

  1. amen!
    great call to action..
    but you never said what you will do with your wealth, how you will share it. I'm interested to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jena. You are right--my post lacks the final part--what will I actually do? Well, perfectly honestly, I don't yet know. All that I do know is that I am committed to do something...something. That may be living in a way the God can use me daily in my current circumstances, it may mean getting more actively involved in service, it may mean starting a blog to share these thoughts, or it might even mean traveling the world on missions to reach so many needy people. All of those options are appealing, and truthfully, the more radical the idea, the more excited I get...yet the less immediate direction I have on going about doing it. So I'm open to whatever is next. Shortly after I first had these thoughts, the Homes for Haiti project surfaced...and now I'm loving it. I've decided that I want to take a week this year to go somewhere for missions or service, and shortly after that decision Homes for Haiti presented an opportunity. Going to Haiti to build the homes might be my next step, but I pray that it will only be the beginning. At the very least, I hope to go about my every day with a different intent. I think if we start there, with a change of intention and purpose, opportunities will become obvious to us, and the key is to discern what the Spirit is leading us to do. I don't know what is next, but I'm excited for it!

    The Jan 2 "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers, entitled "Will You Go Out Without Knowing" is a wonderful inspiration and comfort, concerning this: http://www.myutmost.org/01/0102.html

    The first section is below:

    "He went out, not knowing whither he went." Hebrews 11:8

    "Have you been "out" in this way? If so, there is no logical statement possible when anyone asks you what you are doing. One of the difficulties in Christian work is this question - "What do you expect to do?" You do not know what you are going to do; the only thing you know is that God knows what He is doing. Continually revise your attitude towards God and see if it is a going out of everything, trusting in God entirely. It is this attitude that keeps you in perpetual wonder - you do not know what God is going to do next. Each morning you wake it is to be a "going out," building in confidence on God. "Take no thought for your life, . . . nor yet for your body" - take no thought for the things for which you did take thought before you "went out."..."

    ReplyDelete