Of the many scriptures that our girls memorize, one that
seems to resonate within them and that they recall with energy is “Though my
mother and father forsake me, God will take care of me” (Psalm 27:10). The first time I heard
these little ones recite that verse, it was nearly heartbreaking. However, in
time I’ve come to realize that my heartbreak came from a focus on the wrong
things—the past. When looking at the second half of the verse and coming to a
true understanding of what it means to have God as a Father, the verse is truly
uplifting…whether or not you still have an earthly mother and father in your
life.
Today is Saturday, a day off, known as “holiday” to the
Indian people. My absolute favorite way to spend any “holiday” in India is with
our girls. Sometimes energetic games, sometimes songs, sometimes Bible stories…the
activities vary, but the joy of sharing life with these precious little ones
remains a constant blessing.
I like to take the opportunity to instruct our girls, and
really, any human being who will listen, about the Father heart of God and our
place as His children. For Americans, Indians, adults, and children alike,
understanding the truth of our relationship with God as our Father is the source
of life and life abundant. Near the end of my instruction today, the girls
recited to me of their own accord that “though my mother and father forsake me,
God will take care of me.” Then one of our very bright and shy little ones
spoke something softly in the local language and disappeared around the corner.
Some of the girls giggled as I asked what she had said. “She wants you to be
her father,” said a bold little one. Oh my. Yes, my answer is yes, my heart and
my mind said silently. I took the opportunity to speak in Hindi, “Tum meri bahen’e
heh, Mai tumhara bha’i hu,” which means “You are my sisters, I am your brother.”
Their smiles told me that I had been accepted into our family.
It is clear that my role in this ministry is not to be the
father figure to each of our girls, though I can think of no greater blessing.
But the request of one precious little one to be a father to her spoke so much.
Yes, it made me feel like a million bucks, in that I would be desired as such;
but much, much more, it reveals the simple heart of a child, and every child of
God, to be fathered. To be fathered is to be loved, to be protected, to be
instructed, to be disciplined, to be provided for, to be an heir to all that is
our Father’s. In God’s grace, He fathers us in these and many more ways. In God’s
grace, our little girls are receiving an answer to their sometimes inaudible
cries for a loving mother and father here on earth. Love. Protection. Instruction.
Discipline. Provision. Heirs.
I encourage you to meditate on what it means to have the God
of the universe as your Father today. It may be the most meaningful part of
your day. Men, may I also suggest a book that I am just a few pages from
finishing: “Fathered by God” by John Eldridge. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." - Romans 8:15
If my response to a little one asking for me to be a father to her was immediately "yes" in my heart in mind, though I am limited in my ability to actually assume that role, how much more is the answer of God "yes" to any of His children who, in Christ, cry out "Abba, Father?" And our God is by no means limited in either His desire or ability to be our Father. This is God's promise to you.
I praise God for providing abundantly for each of the girls
in our care, I praise Him for providing abundantly for me, and it is my prayer
that you would come to know with ever greater depth that God is your Father. In
Christ alone. Amen.
"...no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God." - 2 Cor 1:20
No comments:
Post a Comment