Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Immediately Profitable and Sustainable Life

A family friend recently passed away at the age of 56, and it has resulted in a time of reflection for me and some family members. Our hearts go out to his family who must carry on in this world without him, including children, a wife, and parents, to name a few. The thought hit me that his purpose must have been accomplished on this earth, all timelines aside. What is time after all? Time would have no meaning if it weren’t created for man’s world by God. So to God, this man’s life wasn’t 56 years so much as it was the number of people who loved and were loved by him, the number of people drawn to God through him, and this man’s one soul who accepted Christ and is coming to Heaven…irrespective of it being 5, 55, or 105 years.

So I wonder how many years I have for my purpose to be completed? The answer to that question doesn’t matter as much as the next phase of thought: what if today was the conclusion of my life, the end? Conversely, and just as importantly: what if today and the next day and the next are not the conclusion, or the end of my life? Could I live my life today as though it will end today? Would I therefore do everything that is within me to bring glory to God with the time I have left, or would I pursue other things? Would my behavior change with that knowledge of the length of my life? But then again, it doesn’t seem practical to live as though it’s our last day if it’s really not—we’ll be completely spent: money, energy, reputation and all else. But the epiphany is this: these are at odds with one another—the present verses the future—because of our world view.

Think about it: there is a natural law that is true in most situations that the future is at the expense of the present and vice versa. We invest and give up money, in order to reap the reward later. We work hard today, so that we can play hard or relax tomorrow. Or we indulge in instant gratification today, paying the consequences tomorrow. Additionally, in the business world, we often make decisions based upon this dilemma: is it profitable now and/or will it be sustainable in the future? Quite simply, a business must be profitable both immediately and in the future, and decisions cannot be made that cater to only one or the other. Whatever the situation and application, this law seems to persist, and the “live as though you’ll die tomorrow” attitude is no different. What do you think—what would you do if you knew you would die tomorrow?

Some of the things that came to your mind you should go ahead and do today—I hope you’ve been emboldened. Others however, I wouldn’t advise you to be so rash and short-sighted about. Now think again of the things you’d do if you knew for certain that you would die tomorrow—would you still do them tomorrow if you knew you’d be alive for 50 more years? For instance, you may have said, “If I knew I’d die tomorrow, I wouldn’t go to work—I’d spend all my money, call all those I love, spend time and talk with them, and go to that place I’ve never been…I’d do this and that and this and that.” Grand plans, I’m very certain. However, if you knew for certain that you wouldn’t die for another 50 years, would you do those same things tomorrow? Not likely all of them. Certainly you wouldn’t quit your job and spend every last dime of your money. Though you might still tell those you love most that you do love them, and you might go out of your way to be especially nice or make time for another loved one. Yet most of the things of which we first think don’t pass this dichotomic test of time-defined benefit. But I would like to suggest to you that there is a single fail-safe choice that will be both immediately profitable and sustainable for your entire future, a way that is good and wise if you die tomorrow or not for another 50 years: This way is abandonment to God. It is the only life that has no tradeoff in time—no now vs. later mentality—Jesus Christ is simply best for you now and later, and there is no dilemma. It flies in the face of natural law. The things of this world have such tradeoffs, but living for Christ never does. Now, we must “count the cost,” which is death to this world and losing our carnal selves for the sake of Christ: this is our tradeoff. Sin and worldly desires traded for righteousness and eternal perfect love and oneness with our God.
Luke 14:27-33 – “And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. 28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it— 29lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish’? 31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace. 33 So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.”

However, this tradeoff is not one of now vs. later, immediate benefit verses long term benefit. It is profitable to God, you, me, and all souls past, present, and future both now and forever. It is profitable for all because of the oneness of all to which we are called. This includes all who have believed in Jesus and gone to Heaven, past, present, and future.
Jesus' prayer in John 17:20-26 – “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.
24 “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

Do you feel a call from God to go somewhere and do something and serve Him in a particular way? Then by all means do it, if He is calling you right now. Do you feel no specific call to change in your general circumstances? That is fine, for He is calling you right where you are. The point isn’t where you go or what you do or who you become or what kind of servant you are—the point is that you serve Him right now, right where you are, both immediately and sustainably for the rest of your human life and into Heaven for eternity. If we “put on Christ” (Gal 3:27), we are assured an immediate “harvest” (John 4:35, Luke 10:2), as well as sustainable relationship with God. This will not only impact our souls but the souls of those around us. I encourage you to seek opportunities to invest in Christ today by what you choose to do. Choose Him in a way that is both immediately profitable for Christ’s sake and sustainable. Don’t think in terms of the world, for you will surely “count it all as loss for the sake of Christ”—you will grow to love Him so much that you care less and less of the things of the world and more and more for Him, His Kingdom, and your fellow man.
Phil 3:7-9 – “But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;”

“Whatever you do, do for the glory of God” (1 Cor 10:31). This is one daily choice that we can have supreme certainty of being immediately profitable and eternally sustainable, no matter whether we are living our last day or the first of many more on earth. Until we meet in Heaven, I pray that our lives, yours and mine, will be permeated by Christ in this way. It is the only way of true joy and a life of true meaning, unbound by time. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment